Monday, March 2, 2009

DT-R.I.P.

I haven't been near BYU for a long time. Kev told me Deseret Towers, my old freshman dorms, were torn down about a year ago. Yesterday I saw it for myself. Sure enough, driving past the old DT field, I could look out and see--nothing. No high-rising, old brown dorms blocking my view. I could see straight across the street to Heritage Halls and the bell tower. It was so surreal; I had to have pictures. This was my old hall-U right behind these trees. It looks like some sort of a little memorial on the peaceful, grassy knoll--an homage to the 5th floor and all my favorite girls. No more cramped little cubicles with two roomates inside, no more floor-shared bathrooms. Just memories of Emily, my adorable roomate, cartwheeling down the hall while the boys were allowed to visit and having not only her shirt but also her bra fly up. Also of Emily freaking out because I hadn't come home yet at 3 am our second week of school and notifying our floor monitor Lori-who was waiting for me with the campus police. Emily always left me little cute notes and made me a "quillow" for Christmas, which I still have. Lori introduced us to Abba. Liza and Amy loved NKOTB and kept black bananas in their room, hoping to get the ambition to make banana bread. My girls Katie, Andrea, Eliza and Amy all roomed together after that until we got married, went on missions, etc.


We always invented our own food in the cafeteria because the entrees were often kinda yucky--carrot sticks and A-1 were not a bad combination. We always got ice cream at the Cougar Cove at nights--mint chocolate chip and cookie dough were my faves.



Now I kinda know how Kevin felt when we went to Disneyland and a big part of his mission area had been leveled to create the California Adventureland parking lot. Very surreal.



















0 comments: