Saturday, March 7, 2009

What the @#(bleepsie) kinda TURKEY is that?

Hooray! I finally figured out I could bake my giant squash in the oven. The shell turned nice and soft and then just peeled away.

This is what a whole baked hubbard squash looks like after it's been baked, peeled and sliced. I just scooped out the inside and bagged the rest.


Here's the empty shell and about 11 bags of squash. Fascinating, huh? Thanks to the enormous "Facebook" trend, I feel free to ramble on about hubbard squash with little fear of borring too many of my friends and family :)
What does one do with 11 bags of squash? So far, I've found two great recipes: one for bread--which I made. My girls love it. And one for soup, which looks really good too.
And now for the latest squash news. Here's a little update about how my five friends reacted to finding a hubbard on their doorstep: So far I've had two threats of retalliation, one wonderful bottle of pearsauce left on my doorstep (favorite reaction), several rumors of regifting the squash around the neighborhood, a couple of questions about recipes and one friend who was afraid of the squash and suspected teenage hooligans--oops (I set her straight, and then everything was fine). Aah, who would have thought a few big squash could bring so much joy?! I am a little afraid for April Fools' Day though--I'm not gonna lie.





3 comments:

Amber said...

Sooo funny! It looks like a blimp or something! Good for you! I'm impressed!

Mindy K said...

Thanks--that was my biggest roasting pan.

Karen said...

This whole squash thing is making me laugh so hard. I didn't think it would be possible to break into that thing. It does look like a blimp!