Sunday, July 27, 2008

Don't know what went wrong



Kev would like me to issue the following warning: I know most of you probably thought this day would never come, but Kevin is convinced the time is upon us. Now, you'll need to go get a handbasket, jump inside and strap yourselves down real tight. Kev's pretty certain you will soon be experiencing a scorching, downward plunge. I myself think Kevin is exaggerating and that everything will be fine.
For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, Kevin was just called into the Bishopric today, and he's more than a little nervous. His family came out in full support; it was very cool. Kevin's parents drove here from Oklahoma so his Dad could ordain him. Kevin wanted them all to sit in the very back so we wouldn't cause a big scene. I told him that was ridiculous.
Kev still can't figure out what he did wrong. He always sat in the back of Sunday school, never made eye contact, tried not to be too social--and now this.
I haven't seen him this nervous since March 12, 1996 around 4:30 am. when my water broke, signaling that Kourtney was about to be born. He was dazed and confused; he kept running around asking me what we were supposed to do. It was almost like that last Tuesday when we got called into the stake president's office.
Actually, during the stake presidency interview I was enjoying a pretty cavalier attitude about the whole thing (because I know Kevin--he may feel uncertain, but he's definitely going to rise to the challenge and be just fine) until Pres. Sohm suddenly turns to me and says something like, 'Now you know we consider the wives of our bishopric members just as much as we consider the husbands. You'll have to not only support Kevin, but also accept this calling just as much as he does.'
Huh? what? So what exactly has everyone in this room been saying for about the last ten minutes, cuz I don't think I was paying very close attention. Isn't there some sort of school for this? Is there at least like a book called "Bishropric Wives for Dummies Named Mindy"? Argh!--Move over people. There's gotta be room for at least one more in that handbasket!
Honestly, I think Kevin will be wonderful. He's patient, goes out of his way to help people, has a really big heart (etc.). He's pretty cool. I fell in love with him 13 years ago, and now more people will get a chance to get to know him. I'm so glad his family could come; even both his grandmas made it. It meant so much to him--and no, we didn't make them sit alone in the back (again, ridiculous). They sat right next to us, and we took up two whole "hey look, Kevin Knudsen is getting called into the bishopric today" rows.

4 comments:

Willardson Family said...

You are amazing and you are the perfect couple to serve in the bishopric!!! Tell Kevin congrats!! It looks like he has a wonderful family!! I feel bad we missed that Sunday!!

Kelly said...

Ha ha! Kevin will be great! You have the funniest posts, I love your sense of humor! See you soon!

TRICIA said...

i knew it was happening and I was nervous for you guys all week, so I can only imagine how you feel. I am sorry you will see even less of your hubby, but I know you are quite used to it and you will hopefully survive! We are excited for you guys! We love you!

Idontcare said...

That's awesome! I'm sure that he'll do a great job! :) The Lord likes to test us in strange ways sometimes eh? I hope I get to see you today at the family reunion! I haven't seen you for ages it seems!! :)