Friday, June 6, 2008

This, it turns out, is not one of my favorite things





I am seriously not trying to copy Liza--first the toes and now the blog, but this"favorites" blog is fairly common, don't ya think? And purple--so cute!! Next time I'm getting "ruby slipper red."


We saw "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" a couple weekends ago. Weird. Not one of my favorite things. Actually I really enjoyed it right up until the end. I kept thinking there just had to be some sort of Scooby Doo twist or something to keep the train wreck from occurring. No.

Now I understand the whole Indiana Jones series deals in the fantastic, mythical, legendary, etc. I really do. I just thought this particular movie stepped outside that realm and into another, and I don't think Indiana Jones belongs in that realm. I think ET belongs in that realm. Maybe Speilberg got his movies/genres confused.

I saw an interview with Harrison Ford the week "Crystal Skull" opened. He said the reason it took 20 years to make another Indiana Jones movie was because they hadn't found a script worth doing. This was the big script that got Speilberg and Ford on board, excited to pull on the brown hat and crack the whip? I can't completely swallow that. Anyway, that's my meager opinion.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I waited a bit to post this.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I thought it was very true to a typical IJ movie. I think maybe you missed the date that it took place and where it started out. In the 1950's when Roswell was a huge deal and area 51. So if you didn't see it coming....

I thought it was alright I wasn't too shocked. I think 3 is my favorite.

Mindy K said...

Oh. I didn't really consider the importance of the time frame, and that makes more sense now why they chose this script. Thanks for the enlightenment, Liza.

I still don't like it. I don't like Indiana Jones finding aliens. I think he should find something else.

BTW, it is so cool that you are doing your own glitter toes!!! You never cease to amaze me. You'll have to for sure post pics when you do them!!!

Mindy K said...

But wait. Just so we're clear (my pride won't let this go), I was able to follow the plot. I knew the movie was alluding to the fact that in the end we were going to see some aliens. I just didn't want to.
I kept hoping at the end there would be some sort of plot twist so that the aliens were just a cover-up for something better. Not aliens.
They could have even kept a bit of mystery--was the crystal skull a part of some sort of other mystery, was it really an alien skull?
I just really didn't like the close encounters scene at the end. That was dumb.
Phew! Let me put this soap box back in the closet or somewhere.

Amber said...

Booooooo! I hated that movie!