Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Great--Here Come the Waterworks!!




Ashley's third grade class recently held their annual Manners' Day. Ms. Dennison does things a bit differently from the other classes. Instead of doing it near Valentine's Day, she turns Manners' Day into an impressive Mother's Day program.

Both kids and mothers came dressed up. They covered groups of desks with colored butcher paper to look like mini tables, then decorated them with tissue paper flowers made into napkin holders and lollipop bouquets. We had a little buffet complete with mini sandwiches and giant strawberries. We got cute pot holders hand-stenciled with butterflies and wrapped in decorated brown bags. We even had our pictures taken in front of the specially decorated Happy Mother's Day bulletin. Thanks, Ashley--and Ms. Dennison.

The absolute highlight, however, was when each child stood up and began singing "Wind Beneath My Wings" to their mom. I quickly switched my camera to video mode and captured most of the first verse. I wasn't sure where to point the camera though because all eyes began tearing up. I spared you the second verse because I was afraid the sound of the song might be drowned out by sniffling, crying mothers.

Just watch this precious moment. No really, I'm fine; I don't need a tissue. There are not tears dripping off my chin ...


4 comments:

Genelle said...

What a fantastic idea! Marvelous Mother's Day Manner's... brought to you by Mrs. Dennison. I'll keep that in mind for Father's day.

I didn't know if it was the song, or Bette Midler that always made me want to cry when I listened to it, but now I know... it IS the song. I wanted to cry while Ashley and her classmates were singing Wind beneath my wings. What an inspirational song! I think I'm going to sing it to my Mom right now.

Kelly said...

How great is that! I love it when teachers do cool stuff like that! If I still lived there, I would request Mrs. Dennison for next year just for that!

Torri ;o) said...

What fun for you. I loved it when my kids were in Seminary in High School. On Mother's Day we would take lunch to eat with them and then they would have a special program in their class. Out in the hall there was a place you could have your picture taken. I love those pictures with my kids.

Willardson Family said...

How sweet is that! It makes me get tear eyed just watching it! Now I'am bummed we won't get Mrs. Dennison for Whitney next year since we are on "B" track. I love teachers that do fun things like that.